TIPS FOR A PRODUCTIVE MEETING WITH YOUR ELECTED OFFICIAL
DO DO NOT
* Call and make an appointment to meet * Do not argue, act aggressive or get
with your General Assembly member. emotional.
Arrive about 10 minutes early if meeting
in an office. Arrive exactly on time if * Do not give an incorrect or untruthful
meeting in a home. response to a question. If you do not
know the answer, let the General
* Invite other people to go with you to the Assembly member know that you
meeting. One person should be the appreciate such a good question and
designated main speaker. If you need you will research it and contact them
assistance, please ask a Steering with the answer.
Committee member to accompany you
to the meeting. * Do not get into NAIS in depth or be
negative. The Freedom to Farm Act is
* Take copies of the Freedom to Farm a positive act basically giving animal
Act for each person attending the and plant producers a bill of rights.
meeting and one for the General
Assembly member. * Do not wear a hat or sunglasses.
* Remember that time is valuable. Get to * Do not chew gum or tobacco.
the point and stay focused. Explain
the “short and sweet” of the Freedom * Do not get into the New World Order,
to Farm Act and invite questions. Assume 911, partisan politics, etc.
the General Assembly member does
not know which end of a cow one milks. * Do not wear cologne or perfume. Some
people react adversely to it.
* Be complimentary to the General
Assembly member. Thank them for * Do not discuss other bills.
their time. After the meeting, send a
thank you letter.
* Try to get a commitment from the
General Assembly member for their
support of the Freedom to Farm Act.
* Be neat and clean.